This is the prime era to move people around you and stir them into action for adopting healthier lifestyles. Look around and you will find that the fitness industry has literally exploded with growth in recent times.
According to Business Insider, the Fitness Industry was close to reaching the $100 billion mark by 2019. Furthermore, boutique fitness grew by a whopping 121% from 2013 to 2017. In another report, this time by IBISWorld, the US market size for personal trainers back in 2017 were $9 billion, and along with other health clubs and gyms generated revenue of $27.8 billion in 2017.
Having said all that wouldn’t it be nice if you somehow knew how to start a personal training business? I mean any smart person would just simply look at the market right now and start making plans to cash-in on the current trends. Here is a quick guide just for you before you start making your first moves.
If you are passionate about helping others plus health and fitness intrigues you then look no further since becoming a personal trainer can be a great career choice for you. Median pay is around $38,160 according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics and projected growth is 8% in demand for the future. Furthermore, there are nearly 33 options for you to excel and progress further as a personal trainer, so there is a lot for you to achieve out there. These choices include:
· Independent classes, group exercise instructor, as well as trainer and coach for gym members.
· In-home clients, outdoor boot camp, apartment complexes, community centers, high-end coaching, and dealing with corporations or well-known establishments.
· Cruise ships, resorts, spas, retirement communities, and educational institutions.
· You can even specialize in physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, exercise physiologist, lifestyle consultant, sports nutritionist, yoga instructor, or health and wellness coach.
What I am saying here is that a career in fitness will have you travel the world and make doors open for you. In fact according to Study.com, Postsecondary Teachers who specialize in teaching recreation and fitness programs made over $127,000 in 2018. Guess what? Their demand is increasing by 11?ch year!
In order to become a professional, you would be required to be nationally certified before you can start sharing your knowledge and provide fitness related exercise instructions or prescription to clients. It would be fair to say that the more qualifications you stack up the better your chances of earning high-end wages become.
Most certifying bodies however only require a high school diploma to accept you in their program. On the other hand, post-secondary education such as certification, formal degree, or training course is highly recommended. Here are some basic steps for you to follow:
· Earn GED or a high school diploma
· Complete Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certifications for your client’s safety are a must.
· You should also consider choosing one of the many specialties related to a particular niche including:
o Bodybuilding Specialist
o Youth/Elderly Fitness Expert
o Fitness Manager
o Group Exercise Instructor
o Strength & Conditioning Coach, etc.
· Top certifying programs include ACE (American Council on Exercise), ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), ISSA (International Sports Sciences Association), NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine), and NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association).
· Based on your certifying authority, you would be required to prepare and appear for an official examination to receive a professional certification.
· Your study would include reading and research materials, exam prep courses, study guides, training classes, workshops, and much more.
· You need to make sure that you choose a certifying agency that is accredited by the NCCA (National Commission for Certifying Agencies) as it is the gold standard and most respected accreditation program of the nation.
While there are no compulsory national licensing requirements specifically related to personal trainers, nevertheless it is best that you show compliance towards the legal framework. For starters, you need to comply with consumer protection legislation. Your local Trading Standards Department should be able to answer any queries about consumer protection legislation. If you plan however to start your own gym, then here is what you need to do:
· Acquire a normal state licensing.
· A strong liability insurance policy is also obligatory.
· You will need to register for an Employer Identification Number and also file for local and federal taxes.
· Additional municipal rules on building and business zoning has to be observed as well.
The world is connected through the internet which is why you should consider hiring website development services to get your own site up and running. However, even before that, you need to come up with an attractive and timeless logo for your brand of services. So it’s best that you find an affordable logo designing service like Logozila on the net as well. Social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and a YouTube Channel could turn out to be a great investment of your time and effort. Most of all you should first and foremost get yourself on Google My Business. Own your business and optimize your page to the fullest and start getting hits from local customers. Register your business online to business listing websites and customer review websites. You should also consider participating in user-generated content websites to get more traction.
I really did not want you to get demotivated that is why I decided to include finances in the last section. Yup running and setting up a gym can cost you as low as $50,000 and as high as $500,000 depending on your location. Apart from the startup cost, you will also require equipment and they simply do not come cheap. These can include:
· Basic free weight for professional lifters.
· Bench presses
· Chest fly machines
· Deadlift mats
· Leg press
· Racks for curls and dips
· Rowing machines
· Squat Racks
· Triceps extension
I know this may sound a lot but you can expect prices for equipment to easily range above $150 each. However, let me remind you that a gym membership of $1000 per year would only require you to get 100 members to reach $100,000 in a year.
Personal trainer as a career is indeed lucrative as you not only have a great chance to further your expertise in the field and earn high wages but you also have various options to play with. The current and future market trends show incredible outcomes coming your way. No wonder athleisure is becoming big in fashion as well. Do your research and discuss your approach with professionals online before you make a decision. Until next time, all the best for your future endeavors, Cheers!!!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Waiting to welcome you to our amazing family of loyal customers and are excited to work with you.